- Food & Drink
- Arts & Entertainment
- Do This
- Party Pics
“Wait, wait… wait! You’re from Maine and have NEVER gone camping?” I can’t remember how many times those words have left my mouth. Maybe it’s how I was raised, but I grew up camping and it’s always been a part of my life. With that experience comes “Sage Old Advice” as my grandfather would have called it. You learn a lot after a cold night’s sleep in the wrong tent. You get awfully hungry when you’re in the middle of nowhere and find that your ice has melted because you brought that old hand-me-down cooler—and its only day two. I guess you won’t be eating that spoiled steak after all!
Camping and any outdoor activity should be fun. Invest in the right gear. You’ll have it forever and you’ll better enjoy your time spent outdoors – including a good night’s rest and that steak.
TOP 5 GEAR ITEMS YOU NEED NOW:
1) Tent There are the obvious things to look for: waterproof, lightweight, roomy. But then there are the other aspects.
2) Sleeping Bag Much like a tent, you’ll want a universal bag. That can be tough to accomplish, but I like a down bag that’s rated to 35-40 degrees.
3) Cooler Nothing is worse than your ice melting and your hours from a store, or for that matter even down the road. You’re camping and going back to town spoils the adventure.
4) Pack Enjoy the view from the mountaintop without feeling like you just carried a small, slightly overweight child on your back. That’s not fun.
5) Sleeping Pad This isn’t a luxury. It’s a necessity. In the Spring, it raises you off the cold ground. Year round, it takes you off the uneven, rocky ground and it’s just friggin comfortable.