Is There a Storm Coming? How To Prepare For an Emergency on a Budget
Attention Mainers, the perfect storm is coming! I gotta be honest….I’m a little skeptical, because the only way this would be a perfect storm is if Mark Wahlberg actually showed up at my house to rescue me A girl can dream, right?
I’ve been stalking the weather reports and it looks like Maine is going to get a whole lot of rain, high winds and there is a huge potential for power outages. So, I thought it might be prudent to do a storm preparedness article. Here are 5 tips to preparing your family for a storm or emergency.
1. Go fill up your gas tank today – It’s inevitable that gas prices will rise in the days that follow a major storm, so do yourself a favor and fill up your gas tank right now BEFORE the storm hits. Fill it up…do not put $5.00 in your tank and call it good, the more gas you can get at a lower price, the better. If you are looking for the best gas prices in your town..use Gas Buddy.
2. Buy some water or start filling up containers of water – The unfortunate thing about retailers is that they are able to raise the prices on storm supplies at the sheer mention of a major storm..which is probably the case at most of the stores in your area. The best price I’ve seen on 24 packs of water this week is at CVS, priced at $2.88. Run out to your local CVS and pick up a 24 pack of water. You may also want to consider purchasing something like a WaterBob, which allows you to store up to 100 gallons of drinking water.
3. Stock up on non-perishables – It’s times like these that I’m thankful to have a stockpile. But it’s never too late for you to start. Here are a few coupons for food which I consider to be emergency non-perishables:
$1.00 off any TWO Kellogg’s Special K Bars
$1.00 off Mott’s Snack & Go Applesauce pouches
$0.75 off two Campbell’s Natural soups
$0.50 off 5 Campbell’s Spaghetti0′s pastas
$0.50 off three Campbell’s Chunky™ soup or chili
$0.50 off 2 Campbell’s Chunky™ soup or chili
$0.40 off (3) Campbell’s Condensed Soups
Pro Tip: Take coupons under $1.00 to Shaws where they will double! (Example: A $.75 coupon will double to $1.50 off!) Take all coupons $1.00 & over to either Walmart, Dollar Tree or Family dollar to get the best deals. P.S. Whole Foods & Trader Joes also take coupons.
4. Stock up on Batteries & Light Sources – Flashlights and candles will be your best friends during a power outage, but you need to make sure you have plenty of batteries! It’s a good idea to stock up on batteries when you can find a good deal….and luckily for you, I’ve got one! Right now, Toys R’ Us is having a B1G1 FREE deal on AAA & AA batteries…pick up 40 batteries for only $6.99 + choose to pick up in-store to avoid shipping charges!
5. Get Ready for Family Fun – If you have children, they you are definitely going to want to make sure that you have a fair share of games, printables & activities for the kids, especially if your kids are like mine and addicted to video games & Cartoon network, enjoy an occasional video game and monitored tv time There are tons of FREE printables & game ideas available online. One of my favorite spots to go for that is NickJr.com or Disney.com!