Theatrical & Experimental Belly Dance
496 Congress Street
When: 09/12/2013 – 11/21/2013 (10 week session)
Thursdays, 7:30 – 8:30 PM
(no class 10/31)
Cost: $100 full session/$60 half session/$13 drop in
Theatrical belly dance blends the emotion, drama and storytelling of the theater with the beautifully passionate and expressive art of belly dance. By connecting emotion with movement through combined use of dance drills and improvisational theater exercises we will explore the connection between dance, storytelling and spirit.
In this session we will be working with the five elements of Earth (practice), Air (inspiration), Fire (energy), Water (emotion) and Spirit (the storyteller) as they relate to dance and creativity. Classes are structured to build on one another but each may also be experienced as a stand-alone class. Class topics will be announced monthly and cover such things as:
- Creating safe space to explore and step outside your comfort zone
- Learn to use common belly dance moves to convey a wide array of emotions or to create a character
- Explore how to establish stage presence and connect with your audience
- Establishing a dance practice
- Discover and connect with what motivates you to dance
- Create and share stories through dance and movement
- Laugh, dance and have fun!
This class is intended for students who have at least one session of belly dance classes.